Monday, March 26, 2012

Super Secret Vacation

For our babymoon Andrew surprised me with planning the entire trip. All I had was a packing list and 2 envelopes labeled "super secret vacation" that he put out on the table weeks in advance just to bug me. We left from salt lake Friday after work. It took us 2 hours just to get to Payson because traffic was so terrible so we stopped in at Dairy Queen which Andrew's cousins own to grab a bite to eat. It was actually his cousins sons birthday so they were there which was really cool, especially because we got our food for free.
Finally after taking a turn off just after Beaver Andrew let me open the first envelope. It had Dinosaur Hunting Licences for both of us and a hotel reservation in Kanab.
We got to the hotel around 11:00, checked in, went to the hot tub, and then to bed. The next morning we enjoyed a continental breakfast and off we went to......The Grand Canyon! The second envelope included a map of the Grand Canyon, itineraries (option 1 and 2), and a camp site reservation. My husband is so adorable! The itineraries even included rest stops every 1-2 hours since he knew I would more than likely need them.
We took the longer way to the canyon on a road that travels by the vermilion cliffs which were absolutely beautiful.
Along the way there were some old houses built against these boulders around the 1920's so we stopped by. Of course I didn't get any pictures of the houses, just Andrew bouldering.
To get to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon you have to cross either the Glen Canyon Dam or Lee's Ferry. This is Lee's Ferry. Technically our first view of the Grand Canyon.
You can't tell but this is a picture of 9 Ford's in front of the big truck, all the same make and model different colors. We were trying to figure out why there would be so many and where they were going.
Our first real view of the Grand Canyon!
Even though it was considered a clear day, I was till surprised by the amount of pollution in the air.
I bought 2 post cards at the gift shop here, deciding that we would start collecting them from everywhere we went. The best part was that it took me 15 minutes with only me and another guy in line because they had to run the guys credit card old school.
Then Andrew and I stopped in a little general store to buy some ice where they luckily didn't have to run our card the old school way but we still stood in like for 10 minutes because the cashier was ridiculous. She couldn't understand anything anyone was saying and had to ask them 5 times what they said. Then she couldn't decide if she should bag a boys hat or not and when she finally did she asked him if he wanted the tags cut off to which he said no but of course she couldn't hear him and had to ask 5 more times. Then finally on our turn she went all the way outside to grab the ice for us, even though we had just planned to grab it ourselves, and then couldn't figure out how to ring up the ice. Then she asked us if we wanted a bag to which we said no. She then continued to tell us that "these bags last forever, they are plastic". We couldn't stop laughing about it as we walked to the car.

After arriving at our campsite and setting up we decided to take the shuttle to all the look outs.
I just like the sign with the chipmunk biting the dude's finger which now has a chunk missing and blood dripping form it.
Where I spent most of my vacation.
Some Elk by our Campsite
The Canyon definitely got prettier as the sun went down. During most of the day the colors of the rock and sand didn't stick out very well.
Since walking more than 10 feet is a chore for me these days we didn't do much, if any hiking and had seen pretty much all we could by the end of the day.
For dinner we stopped by the general store and bought a hot chicken since both of us were so hungry we didn't know if we could wait long enough for our dinner to cook.
Banana Boats!
We woke up at 5:00 and watched the Sunrise
I would recommend doing this if you're going to the Grand Canyon, it was probably my favorite part of the trip.
Since I'm lame and can't hike we decided to leave that morning after eating breakfast at the cafeteria. We made as many stops as we could on the way out, including a stop over looking the Little Colorado Gorge. It's on Indian land and they made you walk through all of their little shops to get out to the overlook but it was worth it!
Stopped by Glen Canyon Dam although didn't take a tour because we had arrived right when one had just left and would have to wait an hour for the next.

Next stop, Zions! As we were coming into the park Andrew mentioned to me that Zions felt like home. The thing is, is that I know exactly how he feels. I have so many good memories, especially ones with Andrew, at Zions that it has a very familiar feeling. All the National Parks are beautiful and fun but I would have to say that I like Zions the most and Andrew agreed with me.

I was determined to hike so we took the river walk trail at the very end of Zions. It's only 2 miles and paved but i'm still proud of myself.
Andrew and I giggled for a long time looking at this picture. I was swatting a bug okay!
This is why you don't feed the wild life.

We got a hotel in Hurricane and then went into St. George to see the Hunger Games (don't worry Ryan we're still really excited to go see it with you guys).

The next day we decided to just head home and stop by Andrew's parents house on the way. We haven't seen them in a long time and were really looking forward to spending some time with them, sad thing is, no one was there. We had told them we were coming but I guess hadn't specified that we would really like to see them. They had gone shopping in Park City and wouldn't be home any time soon. So after a disappointing afternoon we picked up Indy from the sitter, stopped by Ashley and Ryan's to get my phone charger, and then stopped by my parents house to hopefully see them and say hello. They weren't there either.

This trip probably makes it on my top ten favorite trips. I think Andrew and I have been a bit stressed lately and it was so nice to get away from everything. I noticed that we laughed so much more on this trip then we have in a long time, it was really really nice.


1 comment: