I don't know if I have mentioned this on the blog recently or ever, but Andrew is starting his masters program at the U of U this Fall. We decided we needed a "Big Adventure" together, just the two of us, before the craziness began. I had hiked the Grand Teton before but Andrew never had, so that was the "Big Adventure"!
Literally a week later we found out that (drum roll please!).........WE ARE PREGNANT!!!! Well, Andrew's not pregnant, just me. I'm currently 11 weeks pregnant and feeling a lot better than I was even just a week ago.
I told Andrew that I was still "totally going to be able to hike the Grand" so it was still in our plans. Well another 4 (miserable, everyday sucks, don't think I've ever been soooo tired, throwing up everyday, hate my life) weeks passed and it was time for the big show. Even though I could hardly walk up the stairs without passing out I told Andrew I could still do the hike. Did I mention how miserable I was?
Everything went amazing and according to plan, apart from throwing up repeatedly throughout the day. We got permits for the hike and found a campsite for the night. Next we headed into Jackson to hang out before going to the Bar-J. Dude. I. Was. So. Tired. We ended up not going to the show because I was so exhausted and we wouldn't be back at camp till 12:00. Instead we ate at the Merry Piglets and went back to camp for the evening.
Andrew wanted me to decide if I could make the hike before we started hiking. Essentially he didn't want to waste his time carrying a 40+ pound pack (mine 30) up a trail just to turn around. But I couldn't do that. I could not just decide that I couldn't do it with out trying. So we tried...
....and then failed. After 3 miles of steep steep grade hiking, almost blacking out, having constant blurry vision, and practically falling asleep on every rest, Andrew called it. He told me I wasn't aloud to hike up the trail any longer and that we were turning around. I stood in place for probably 3 minutes, while Andrew hiked down the trail, before I could get myself to turn around. I cried almost the entire way down the trail. I felt so defeated and angry at myself for not being able to make it to the summit. I have never failed at a physical challenge that I've really set my mind to, but this time I had failed.
We spent the rest of the day hiking of course.
| Eating our backpacking food. |
![]() |
| Beautiful rainbows in Star Valley |
That night we actually stayed at Andrew's Grandparents house who live in Star Valley. We headed back to Orem the next morning but still aloud Andrew's mom to baby sit for most of the day so we could still continue our vacation by going to a movie.
Overall the vacation was a complete blast! It was our first trip without Denali since she's been born (my first time away from her ever). It was a much needed vacation full of laughter and good memories!
Grand Teton. You haven't seen the last of us.

.jpeg)
Wow! Laura congrats on your pregnancy! And I'm sure you and your husband will get back to the grand teton another time ;) Love you!
ReplyDeleteyay love this annoucement! congrats again cute friend!!
ReplyDelete