Saturday, March 14, 2015

Saudi Arabian Friends

Many of you have seen Instagram and Facebook posts about my Saudi Arabian friends. Some of you have met them as they have been to parties and family dinners. So who are Mashari, Mohammed, Nasser, and Raed? In short, they are my friends.

The longer version starts on my way home from my girls Disneyland trip in January. We had a very delayed flight from the LAX airport. I was just putting my feet up on my suitcase, reading a magazine and getting ready for the long haul when Mashari sat down across the aisle from me. For some reason, I could no longer focus on what I was reading and all my attention and thoughts were turned to him. I felt a strong impression to sit next to him and start up a conversation. I ignored the impression many times but like I said, I could no longer focus on anything else. I ended up getting enough guts to talk to him and it has been a wonderful experience since then.

Although at first I couldn’t not even understand where he was from because, I’m absolutely terrible at understanding accents; I have now learned a lot about him and is culture. Since I haven’t asked him about writing this blog post, I’ll leave out the personal details of his life. What I will say, although, is that he and his family are some of the sweetest, most genuine, and religiously devoted people I have ever met.

Many of you who know me, know that I have a slight obsession with people, culture, and adventure. For years and years I have longed to travel (especially to India, Egypt, Israel, and Africa) and actually, to do way more than just travel. I have always wanted to live in these places and get to know that people and to work in their homes and help in anyway that I possibly can. I actually remember, at age 10ish, donating whatever money I got from cleaning my grandmas house to some charity that gave mosquito nets to families in Africa. I have this insane love for people and I know that it is truly a gift from God. It has to be. I have prayed for years to be able to make my dreams a reality and to let me fulfill these longings and desires I have to serve the Lord in an even bigger way. I tell you this, because it explains a little bit as to why I believe that these great men are an answer to my prayers.


While at the airport, Mashari and I made dinner plans and exchanged numbers. Since that point forward I have listened very closely to the spirit to guide me. I’ve been able to spend quite a lot of time with Mashari and his friend Mohammed and have grown, rather quickly, to love these guys with a power and degree that I myself do not quite understand. They have taught me so much about so many things and I believe that they are in my life more for my benefit then I am for them.
Mohammed and Mashari at my sisters surprise party.

No comments:

Post a Comment