Monday, September 27, 2010

Day 1 of Iron Man Training

Today I started my training for my Half Iron Man. It didn't look to bad when I was reading it this morning but boy am I tired.
This morning I ran for 40 minutes, just an easy run. I used to run a lot more than I do down. It's actually been a huge struggle for me to get all the cardio in that i need to so for the past couple weeks I've made sure to AT LEAST have 30 minutes of cardio each day. Since i've been a slacker on my cardio I can feel a huge lag in my cardiovascular strength. I only ran about 3 miles in the 40 minutes when i would like to at least be running 4 in that amount of time.
School went on forever today! My Aging class is the longest 3 hours of my life. He's one of those teachers that sits and lectures the entire time and then doesn't explain the home work but expects it to be done. I have learned a lot about older adulthood in that class which i'm extremely grateful.
My Grandma is going in for a total knee replacement in two weeks and i'm really really nervous for her. So many things could go wrong and i'm definitely not ready to say goodbye. Ever since the 7th grade I've helped clean her house frequently (although not so much since college) and she taught me everything I know about sewing. She's definitely the grandma I've spent the most time with and probably the one i'm closest to. She is in a lot of pain though and she's willing to accept the risks that come along with surgery for the possibility of a happier, less painful, life.
After 7 hours of school I went to the Gold's Gym in Van Winkle where they have a lap pool. The work out was:
Warm Up- 200 swim, 200 pull, 200 kick, 200 swim
Main- 1 x 1500 = 30 X 50's
Cool Down- 4 X 50
I didn't feel to terrible while doing to work out or right after. Although it's really hard to force myself to do flip kicks but if i'm going to do this i'm going to do it right so I force myself to keep good form and do the flip kicks.
After swimming I went to FHE and planned on going back to the gym to do my strength training but I could barely run to the first base in kick ball so I thought that maybe tonight I would just come home and take it easy.
One thing that I've been working on lately is being okay with myself. I want to be okay with who I am and what my talents are and try to make them of value in my community. It's so easy to look at everyone around you and see the incredible talents that they have, that you will probably never have, and much harder to recognize your own. Right at this moment I probably couldn't list 3 things I'm really good at but I know there must be something!! Or else my life on this earth is useless.
I also want to be comfortable with having myself as company. After a break up it takes me a bit to get used to the "single life" but I usually adjust pretty well. But this time I don't want to just be getting by till the next romance that enters into my life. I want to be able to be completely content with being by myself even when there is an option not to be. I don't want to live the single life just because I have to but by choice.
Anywho this post just turned into a random thought post.
The End

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you need to eat more to me. I mean, yes you need to eat healthy but you can afford some stuff in moderation. Remember Michael Phelps eats 8000 calories a day because he works out so much. and that includes chocolate chip pancakes and chinese take-out. Remember, you'll lose fat if your body doesn't think it needs to hold on to it because it's starving. I worked with a nurse who was always exercising because she liked it. she ate m&ms and donuts all the time. It may just be me, but if you're working this hard--You can totally eat donuts. :) But really, when I read your workout plans I just thought to myself how you need to eat more. and I was reminded of it now with your too-weak-to-kickball story.

    ReplyDelete