Friday, January 28, 2011

Marriage Prep

So somewhere I had in my head that when you get married/ engaged you magically become this sweet house wife that knows how to cook and clean and decorate your house perfectly. Truth is, I don't know how to cook, cleaning is under control, and i'm probably the worst decorator ever.
Andrew and I have started registering for our gifts. I got so frustrated because I felt like I had to have this grown up house. Like Brenna and Kell and Ashley. They have all these cute signs and artsy stuff all around. I felt like I all of the sudden had to like the colors Deep Red and Brown and Off White. And that I had to care what kind of dishes I ate off of.
I finally figured out, after a not so great experience at Bed Bath and Beyond that I don't have to like the color Dark Red and I don't have to give a poop what my silverware looks like. The truth is that I do care but my taste is very different from Brenna or Kells or Ashley's or all those wonderful blogs I read. Even though I'm getting married and "growing up" I can still like bright colors. I can still buy my bathroom stuff from the "teenage" decor section.
The End

5 comments:

  1. I like bright colors. My friend, here in Virginia, and I joke about a "mormon" style. It's the rustic brown and red and cream. I prefer my style and like to thing of it as eclectic. It's a mismatch of everything. Dustin and I have been married 5 years and we still don't have a perfect style. We have accumulated things over time and make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you go, girl!! you are you -- and you don't need to try to be anyone else. which includes how you want to decorate! that's the fun part -- you & andrew get to decorate any way you want. and one thing about marriage is, don't expect to have your whole place "decorated" right away -- it takes time to build up decore and figure out your style! can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're a nerd. and excuuuuuuse me? I do not have dark red, brown and cream in my house. My kitchen has red. awesome fire engine red. My living room is turquoise orange and red. hello??? Sheesh. you make me sound so drab. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha i was just thinking....ashley has bright, multi-colored stuff. but i agree. be yourself. no one cares!!

    ReplyDelete