My sister in-law Rachel, my friend Brittney, and I took a
little trip down to St George a few weekends back. The main goal? Hike Angels
Landing. It wasn’t my idea, I don’t really love the idea of hiking a 4 month
old up there but it was a goal on Brittney’s bucket list and she was determined
to do it. We got on the trail around 9 am and started up the mountain. Brittney
was very scared that she would slow us down but I was grateful for the breaks
and “mini goals” that we set and we headed up the trail.
For anyone who doesn’t know what Angel’s Landing is; it is a
trail that was created during the great depression to create jobs. Portions of
the trail are blown out of a sheer cliff by dynamite. The entire last half mile
of the hike is along a cliff band that has sheer drop offs on both sides and
chains to assist you in your ascent.
Brittney was most worried about a second of the trail that’s
called Walters Wiggles which is 19 or so switch backs up the cliff. She soon
realized that Walters Wiggles was the least of her worries and was literally praying
to go back. Rachel and I never pressured her to continue up the trail though,
it was all her. I’ve never seen anyone so scared in my life. Each of Brit’s
steps seemed to take all her effort. She
was incredible though! I can only remember one time in my life that I’ve been
as petrified as she seemed and it wasn’t by choice. I couldn’t believe her determination
to make it up this cliff. This is a great example of Brittney’s character. She
is the most resilient, determined, uplifting, hardworking friend I have. I don’t
think I ever would have continued on the hike if I was that nervous.
The rest of the trip we spent watching Disney movies (Rachel
had never seen any of the classics), braiding each other’s hair, and recovering
from the hike. A perfect girls trip.
| Shuttle ride up. |
| View of Angels Landing |
| Walters Wiggles |
| Looking towards the narrows. |
No comments:
Post a Comment