First off, we got a dog. His name is Indy, as in Indiana Jones. Indy is a Boxer with some kind of mix in him, we're not sure because we got him at a shelter called Second Chance in Murray. So far he has been a wonderful dog! He didn't pee in the house for a long time, he likes to walk with you and stay next to you in the yard. So far he knows how to sit, shake, stay, and lay down. He did get kennel cough about 4 days after we got him which was fun...and he sometimes has selective hearing. I keep reminding myself that we've only had him for 2 weeks and that we can expect everything from him.
We took him up to the Baums cabin, Andrew's family, for the 4th of July weekend. Andrew was able to get Friday off so we were able to stay a full 3 days!
The drive up
The next morning I got up early and went for a run on the road around the cabin. It was absolutely gorgeous and looked like the end of Pride and Prejudiced. After arriving back from my run the "Adults" decided we wanted to go run the river. I guess they go every year and have no problems, families can go with little kids no problem, but this year instead of running at 2,000 cubic feet per second it was running at 3,500.
I wore a full wet suit and good thing too.
We had an quite the experience on the first rapid. The first rapid is one of the worst, normally rated a 3+ but who knows what it was this year. We ended up tipping the boat and some of us had a bit of a scary experience. I came up under the raft and luckily it was flipped so I could at least get a little air. I ended up only getting out because Matthew, Andrew's brother saw me and pulled me out. Long story short, we came out with lots of scrapes and bruises but all of us were unharmed other than that.
Andrew's dad owns a company that produces airplanes and other flying devices that have auto pilots on them. This is everyone watching Matthew fly one of the planes. The dog would just run back and forth trying to catch it.
In the evening time all the older cousins went to a hot springs about an hour away from the cabin which is near Cascade Idaho. We pretty much scared off any one else that was there by our large numbers. I've never really had cousins that have so much fun together and are so involved in each others lives. Everyone is really close and are also really inviting to us new comers.
Next day we headed to the parade. Indy rode in the back on the truck.
We caught an Idaho spud at the parade.
There is a flee market in town every year and I guess in previous years some of the cousins have found some pretty ridiculous/ awesome things. This year Andrew's parents gave everyone one dollar to find the most ridiculous thing. I didn't win, I didn't even get a vote.
Waiting for the fireworks.
We played lots of games while waiting.
Brought the dog hoping he wouldn't have trouble with the fireworks with no luck. He freaked out at the first firework and Andrew had to take him back to the truck.
The fireworks were pretty magical actually. They are held right next to Cascade Lake and all the boats go out on the lake to watch them. It reminded me a lot of Tangled.
Last weekend Andrew and I decided we wanted to go backpacking so we did! We went to Coyote Gulch. I've been there a couple year before with the Young Women and had a blast. Andrew had never been there and it's also easily done in one night so that's why we decided to go.

















Eating Fun Dip on the way down.
Trail head, about to embark on our adventure in Coyote Gultch.
We took a different way in then I had previously done with the Young Women. Instead of hiking right into the bottom where the canyon meets up with the Escalante we came in at the very top and hiked down. I would recommend the way I went with the young women especially if it's your first trip. We ended up hiking about 25 miles total in 2 days and the other way you probably only would have had to do about 10.
That speck on Andrew's hand is a frog! We saw some really big and some really small frogs. We also saw a dear in the canyon, three owls, a snake, and lots of tadpoles.
About two hours into our hike I decided I really needed some food so we stopped and cooked our oat meal.
Our camp.
Jacob Hamblin Arch
All along the Gulch are fun little falls like this, especially as you get closer to the Escalante River.
This is what I believe is called Coyote Natural Bridge
We finally got to a waterfall! yay!!!
Andrew trying, i mean succeeding being sexy in the waterfall :)
There is a swim hole that I went to with the Young Women which is how I knew about it. As we were headed up the side canyon to the swim hole we came upon a small pool that was black and muddy. I tried to convince Andrew that it was the swim hole that I was talking about. He did believe me but I couldn't go so far as to let him swim in it. We continued on to find the REAL swim hole. "you didn't tell me it was an Olympic size swimming pool!"
We of course went swimming.
On our way back to camp we found this guy. He's a 3 foot raddled snake. He was scary...
Finally back at camp after an 18 mile hike for the day the first thing we did was sit down, the next thing we did was eat! We had pasta, sweat and sour pork, a raspberry cookie crumble. They were all of course the classic freeze dried backpacking food.
It started raining so we had to finish our dessert inside the tent.
Hiking out was hard, It was longer than I've hiked in a long time but we made it out.
I as well passed my NASM exam. I am now an official Personal Trainer.
your doggy is so cute!! sounds like you had a fun weekend!
ReplyDelete