Thursday, February 20, 2014

Nora's Birth Story




Through out this pregnancy, and my last, I've had very high blood pressure. I was induced with Denali at 37 weeks because of this and because of mild preeclampcia. Although induction isn't the way I wanted my delivery to go, I was so grateful after I saw the state of my placenta and how little Denali was because she wasn't getting the nutrients she needed. When I went into the doctor a couple weeks ago and saw that I had very little fluid, my placenta was headed down hill, and Nora had stopped progressing as needed, I became 100 percent fine with another induction.

The nice thing about being induced is that you can be totally prepared. I spent the day before induction doing laundry, preparing meals, finishing packing, lining up baby sitters, buying last minute treats for Andrew, and received a priesthood blessing from Andrew and my father in-law. Andrew said while giving the blessing that I would be calm and worry free (essentially) through out the delivery and after so that I might be able to really enjoy and experience such a momentous occasion. That was essentially the tone of the entire delivery.

We arrived at the hospital on time at 7:20 am, checked in, and I got comfortable in my very attractive hospital gown. This sounds absolutely silly but one of the hardest and most painful parts of the day was getting my IV. I've never been great with needles but I think I figured out why that day at the hospital. I don't handle getting an IV very well because every time I have to get one (or get my blood drawn) they have to try like 8 thousand times! They always start off by telling me I have great veins and it shouldn't be a problem and then 4 pokes later they have to call someone more experienced in to help. The very same thing happened on the day of my delivery. They even had to call the anesthesiologist in who finally found on spot on the back of my forearm. In the end they told me that my veins have a lot of....well crap now I can't remember...a lot of something that make it difficult to get the needle in all the way.

Very last belly shot.

I was very cold after getting the epidural so they loaded me up with blankets. I look HUGE in this shot!


After the IV ordeal the nurse checked me to see what our starting point was. I was a 3 which surprised me since the day before my Dr had said I was only a 1 (maybe this baby was going to come soon anyway???). They started the PIT and on came the contractions. I don't remember specifics from this point on. I had a lot of contractions and by the time I was a 6 I finally asked for an epidural. I didn't really have a set birth plan which I actually really enjoyed. I had prepared myself to go natural but I was totally cool with the epidural too. My main concern was to be in the moment and enjoy it to the fullest. It seemed like we watched a movie, took and nap, and next they were telling me it was time to push. I started to push at 5:00 pm and little Nora Sage arrived at 5:25.

The most amazing thing was that she practically came out screaming. This is a big deal because Denali came out very quiet, too quiet, and was rushed off to the NICU before I had a chance to even see her. Andrew cut the cord, I had some skin to skin time with Nora, we had a successful breast feeding session and then we said a short good bye for a bath. Like I said before, I was so "worry free" the entire time. It really amazes me how easy and smooth everything went. Maybe it's just my perception on the entire day but it was so blissfully perfect.

I couldn't believe how much hair she had and how dark it was. It really shouldn't be a surprise since both Andrew and I are the odd ones out in families of brunettes. I'm sure part of it was the hormones but there is no better feeling than holding your baby for the first time. I really am grateful that I was able to have an epidural so that I could have my mind fully occupied on the moment. I could truly feel those on the other side of the veil sending her off on the next big step of the Plan of Salvation.  I'm very grateful she arrived here safely and am somewhat horrified of the task I have to get her back to Heavenly Father.




Everything has gone very well since the delivery day. Nora has only lost 6% of her body weight and is eating very well. I was blessed to have minimal to no damage on my body and have been able to recover very quickly. Apart from a lack of sleep and a head ache, probably due to the lack of sleep, I'm almost 100 percent myself.

Denali meeting Nora Sage for the first time.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you. You have a beautiful little family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so beautiful! i'm so glad everything went so well and that it was such a good experience. can't wait to meet her! she is darling!

    ReplyDelete