Around 3 or 4 weeks after Nora Sage was born, when I expected things to get better, things started to get worse. Nora Sage wouldn't let me put her down, she was constantly crying, and would occasionally let out a very painful sounding cry. I started asking other moms what they thought it could be. Most said they thought it was acid reflux, which made sense in my head because she spit up so much and always liked her head to be elevated. I called the nurse at the pediatrician who said "well babies do like to be held" and told me she could schedule her 2 month appointment 2 weeks early if I wanted. I wasn't very happy with that answer but that is what a lot of other people had told me too.
Then one day she was better. Just like that she was okay, no more painful cry, happy. I was so relieved. I went visiting teaching that day and my companion randomly told me about how her son wasn't sleeping well because of an ear infection. After visiting teaching, while nursing Nora Sage, I noticed what looked like a ton of earwax in her ear. Light bulb!
Turns out Nora Sage had an ear infection. The infection had gotten so bad that her ear drum actually ripped which released the pressure in her ear. I guess its pretty strange because most young babies don't get ear infections and most ear infections come after a cold, which Nora Sage had no sign of. I had actually completely forgotten that babies even get ear infections until my VT companion mentioned it because Denali had never had one before.
I was grateful to have an answer to all the crying and to know it wouldn't last forever. Of course right after Nora started to get better, Denali got strep throat (complete with vomiting and diarrhea from her antibiotic). I kept telling myself things would get better after she got better. Then after riding my bike into Zion last weekend my body finally gave out from lack of sleep and overwhelming stress. I spent the entire weekend sick in bed. I woke up feeling well today and I thought "FINALLY! I can breath. Things are going to get better. I survived". At 8:35, I'm in the shower, and I remember I had scheduled Nora's 2 month appointment 2 weeks early which was today at 9:00 AM!
We went, she looks great, and she got her shots. Everyone kept telling me about all the things I can do for her if she has a problem with the shots and I just kept thinking "ya, ya, what ever, Denali never had a problem with them". Well apparently Denali is the toughest kid in the entire world because Nora hasn't stopped screaming in intense pain ALL DAY unless she's sleeping.
So here I am. Hoping once more that things are going to get better. They will.
Stat Time:
Weight: 10 lbs 12 Oz-- 57%
Length: 22.8 In-- 88%
Head:15 In-- 87%
No comments:
Post a Comment