Friday, November 14, 2014

The Case of the Missing Wallet

For months now I have had a big question on my mind almost constantly. Is what I think is revelation and the voice of the spirit really that or of my own making? Time and time again I have received what I think is direction from the Lord but how can I really be sure?! How can I know if it is my own voice or the voice of the Spirit? I have prayed repeatedly about it and have sought out guidance from my husband, close friends, and mission president (aka my father in-law). Everyone has given me great, general, guidance about the promptings and teaching of the spirit. I have never felt I got an answer for how I PERSONALLY feel and hear from the spirit though, until now.

Yesterday I lost my wallet. Somehow from the library the night before to yesterday at 6 am I lost my wallet! This was especially unfortunate seeing as I had a short amount of time to purchase a few items I needed before Joy School that morning. I quickly said a prayer, asking the Lord to help me find my wallet. I had the thought “It’s on the floor in the bedroom”. I ran into my room where Andrew was still sleeping and looked all over the floor for my wallet, with only the light of my phone, and could not find it. I decided I would look for it after going to the gym when I would have more light and felt sure I would find on my bedroom floor.

After getting back from the gym I cleaned my bedroom knowing I would find my wallet on the floor. Nope. It didn’t happen. I search all over that floor and found no wallet. I looked all over my house, car, strollers, pockets; you name it, and could not find my wallet. Sadly, I gave up hope, thinking that I was crazy and had made the whole thing up in my head. If I had made that answer up, then I guess I had made up every other answer I had received similar to that one too. There was my answer; it was all just me being crazy. It was something so small but so big at the same time. I continued with the rest of my day disheartened and unsure if I was ever going to actually receive inspiration from the Lord.

That evening it was time to change Nora’s diaper. I walked over towards the closet where I keep her diapers and there, on the ground of NORA’S bedroom, was my wallet.  I put my hands to my forehead and laughed both at my own stupidity and the Lord’s sense of humor. My wallet was after all, on the floor of the bedroom.


This experience seems silly and small and could be easily overlook as coincidence. The Lord was teaching me a very important lesson in a very simple way. He taught me exactly how the spirit speaks to me, confirmed that it has always been the spirit, and it will always be the spirit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment