It was a Tuesday night in September when we took Rachel, my little sister (in-law), rappelling in preparation for a technical hike we would be taking her on in a couple weeks. The day light wasn't lasting as long as we had hoped, so i remember practically running up Rock Canyon in Provo to get to our rappel spot. Since we had limited sunlight Andrew showed Rachel how to hook in and rappel by his own example and then I was supposed to help Rachel from the top of the rock and Andrew would coach her as she came down the cliff face. I feel bad for poor Rach because by the time she had made it down half the rappel it was already dark, not really prime conditions for someones first rappel.
After I was assured that Rachel made it safely down rappel I began to work my way back off the cliff. I had to down climb what we had climbed up because Rachel used my harness and rappel device for her own rappel.
When I finally got off the cliff face and started walking towards Rachel and Andrew I saw that Andrew was saying something to the two girls who were 'climbing', if you could even call it that, next to where we were rappelling and that Rachel's face looked like something awkward had just happened.
Well as we made out way down the trail back to the car they finally explained to me what happened. It's an old saying that if you catch the very end of the rope as it drops to the ground after pulling it from your anchor that you have good luck, or so that's how I've heard it. Apparently the girls climbing next to Andrew had heard it a little differently for when he caught the end of the rope, something he's actually quite talented at, one of them said "oh you caught the end of the rope, which one of us get's to give you a kiss?" Andrew just stood there thinking "uh well she's my 16 year old sister so it's not going to be her and my wife is climbing down the side of the mountain so it's definitely not going to be either of you". That's when I came walking around the corner and he said "it's going to be this girl right here" referring to me. They became very suddenly silent and avoided all further conversation and eye contact with any of us.
I laughed all the way down the trail thinking of how stupid those girls must have felt after saying that! I mean really? Who says that to a complete stranger. It would have been even better if he had said something like "my wife, who's right here" and then kissed me passionately in front of them but Andrew's not much for PDA and that stuff only happens in the movies right?
oh my goodness, that is hilarious!!!
ReplyDelete