This spontaneous trip all started when I called my father on New Years Eve to see if he and mom were interested in going to a hot springs for the evening. I was referring to either Crystal, Riverside, or Lava which are all 2 hours or less away from Bountiful. He informed me that they would be going to a dance party, for their ballroom dance class, and wouldn't be able to go to a hot springs. I then brought up Monday and that we could all go then and he told me that he wasn't sure what they had planned and would let me know. Maybe he could hear the sadness in my voice or something because he called me back another 20 minutes later and asked me what I thought about going to either Glenwood or Ouray Colorado for a night. Next thing I know it's Sunday morning and i'm packing an over night bag for our stay at Glenwood that night.
We left around 11 and took the scenic rout there, even with stopping at every bathroom we could have possibly stopped at we arrived at Glenwood around 5:30, making pretty good time.
Our reservations were made at the historic Hotel Colorado which actually used to be an old hospital in Glenwood, although has been a hotel now for quite some time. After checking in and watching a few seconds of Star Wars that was playing on Spike we all dressed in our swim suites and made our way to the hot pool which of course is why we had driven 6 hours to Glenwood.
The room actually has two rooms, 3 beds, and a shared bathroom.
The Spa has two pools, a smaller one that is 104 degrees and a really REALLY big one that is about 90 degrees. I could only stay in the hot pool for a few minutes before I would get too hot so I continually bounced back and forth between the two. After everyone had their fill of the hotter pool we got goggles and swam around in the cooler pool.
My dad and I were in the section of the pool were there are lanes set up for lap swimming, holding on to the wall, when my dad made a noise of surprise or pain, I wasn't sure. He then continued to stare blankly into space, not responding to anything I was saying and breathing quickly. After trying to get him to respond I was convinced he had had a stroke so a grab his arm when he then swung around and looked at the wall and said "Oh, it sucks the water".
The entire time he had just been trying to figure out why he had felt a 'shock' on his back when he was up against the wall and in his concentration, failed to respond back to me. It turned out
that there were small holes on the wall that were sucking water in and when you placed your
back against it, it felt just like a small electric shock.
I told him that I thought maybe he was suffering from a heart attack or a stroke and that's why
he wasn't responding and he laughed for a good long while. Later we told Andrew and Mom who both made fun of me for my response but hey, what was I supposed to do?
For dinner we walked across the bridge, which crosses the Colorado River, to Juicy Lucy's which
had really good reviews and for good reason. It's a steak house where I'm sure everything on their menu was good but we wouldn't know since we each got a steak. For our appetizer we ordered a cheese platter with 4 or 5 different kinda of 'exotic' cheese, which was my favorite part of the meal. My favorite cheese ended up being a yummy goats cheese from France that almost melted in your mouth when you ate it. The worst cheese was one left a smell on your breath and
hand that almost perfectly matched that of if you were to accidentally miss while whipping after
taking a number 2.
Mom wouldn't even come close to the cheese after hearing of our complaints about it. So dad, while she wasn't looking, placed a small square of the cheese on top of her funeral potato's that came as a side for her dinner and it blended in perfectly! While eating she mentioned how yummy the potatoes were 2 or 3 times so I was convinced that would would eat the entire serving, her last bite being the one with the stinky cheese. When she had one bite of potatoes and one bite of steak left she stopped eating so I asked her "are you really going to let those yummy potatoes go to waste mom?". She told me that she didn't want to eat the last bit because she was saving space for dessert. After a few minutes, where i guess mom more closely observed her potatoes, she found the piece of cheese. It was absolutely hilarious, between the fact that we
even put the cheese on there and the fact that she happens to not eat the last bite that has the
cheese on it.
I guess because we had cheese on the brain my dad told me after we ordered apple pie for dessert that many people put a slice of cheese on their apple pie. I had the waitress request that we had a small slice of cheese placed on top of our apple pie so that we could taste it. It was really yummy and I think I'll have to do it more often.
Our hotel lit up across the bridge.
Since it's an older hotel it has a slight eerie feeling to it at night so this is me trying to be scary.
After dinner we all went to bed, which makes day one.
No comments:
Post a Comment