Sunday, July 13, 2014

All That I Have




It’s very easy, for me at least, to become overwhelmed and all consumed with all that I do not have. I don’t have a house of my own, I don’t have extra to spend on a perfect wardrobe, I don’t have my dream car, I don’t have all the education I would like to have… the list could for on for a LONG TIME.

Something that is usually not as easy (sadly) is to become overwhelmed with all that we do have. Today though, I am. Life is beautiful and magnificent. As Andrew and Denali were playing at the park yesterday evening, I laid on a blanket next to Nora making silly faces in hopes to make her giggle. At that moment a life flight helicopter, undoubtedly headed towards a hospital in Salt Lake, flew by. I realized that as I was laying on the grass, surrounded by family, the sounds of children laughing, in the cool shade of a tree, there was someone who was not having such a great evening. It made me think about all those that are less fortunate, in whatever way. I realized with such intensity that I am blessed. It was as if everything around me was yelling at me, telling me that I am blessed. I have a family, healthy children, a home to live in while Andrew attends school. We have colleges, temples, safe parks, parkways, bikes, hospitals, clean streets, museums, culture. I have a wonderful siblings and parents, paper, technology, church buildings within blocks of my house. I am not suffering any illness, starvation, or injury. I have grown up in a wonderful gospel, I live on this earth in a time when we have the fullness of the gospel, I was born in Zion, I understand who I am and know that there is life after this mortal existence. I have the ability to receive direct guidance for very personal and unique situations, the ability to talk to a friend and counselor at ANYTIME in ANYPLACE… this list could literally go on FOREVER! With all this knowledge I can live life for a higher cause than obtaining a house or a dream car.

“We can lift ourselves and others as well when we refuse to remain in the realm of negative thought and cultivate within our hearts an attitude of gratitude.”
-Tomas S. Monson (The Divine Gift of Gratitude)


Since being blessed with this realization of the blessings that surround me, my attitude on life is truly changed. My frustrations, struggles, and “lack ofs” seem small and bearable. I know that it is not always easy, but I hope to remember all that I have so that I can see all that I can be. What can I give back to the Lord but everything that he has given me?  

No comments:

Post a Comment