Sunday, July 13, 2014

Bountiful Triathlon

Saturday was my first triathlon ever and I had the time of my life!
I signed up for the race just 2 weeks before the date of the race. My dad had signed up and wanted my sister and I to do it with him. Ashley unfortunately in Alaska and couldn't be with us :( which just means we'll be doing another one with her ASAP! 
Before I signed up, I had not been training for a triathlon specifically. I had been doing lots of slow easy bike riding, yoga, and some weights at the gym. I also had not been waking up  in the mornings until I absolutely had to when the girls woke up.
During the two weeks prior to the race I woke up every day at 6:30 and either swam, rode, or ran. It felt SO GOOD to get up and get that part of my day done with (in the cool morning air). Most days I was done with enough time to shower and eat breakfast before Andrew had to leave for work. The days went so much better! 
The fastest I had ran the 3.2 miles was 36 minutes, the fastest I had biked the 11 miles was 50 minutes, and the fastest I had finished the 350 meter swim was 6 minutes. I figured with transitions I would finish the race at about 1:40:00. 
My split times ended up being around 31 minutes, 35 minutes, and 8 minutes. My finishing time was 1:21:00. I was absolutely blown away by my times. Now that I've finished an entire sprint, I know how hard I can push myself for next time. The only thing I wish I would have done different was not drinking so much before the race. I carbo loaded a full 3 days before and hydrated myself as much as possible in the days leading up to the race which was great, the only probably was chugging water the morning of the race. I had to pee so many times before and during the race. 
Like I said before, I had the time of my life during the race. My dad and I were able to stick together the entire time and it was great the have the company. I can't wait to do another one. 



No comments:

Post a Comment