Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Lava '14

My dad somehow got the crazy idea one year to ride his bike to our annual family get-together at Lava, It’s 150 miles by bike from Bountiful. I decided to join him this year although my training didn’t go according to plan and I ended up only riding a 30 miler before the date came. I told my dad I was going to ride as far as I could, expecting to ride about 50 miles, but somehow managed to pound out 100 miles! I’m still, at this very moment, blown away by the fact that I rode a century last weekend.

The ride went extremely well. We were joined by my Uncle Tom which made drafting quite nice. I think the combination of stopping every 30 minutes for a rest and some miracle drink my dad had found made the ride possible and even fun! I didn’t hurt at all until about mile 90 where it seemed by body started to shut down. I loved riding through all the little farm towns, being chased by dogs, looking at wild flowers and corn fields, laughing about all sorts of things, and pushing my body farther than I had imagined. I’m not kidding about the miracle drink either! I wasn’t even sore after the ride which seems unheard of.

The rest of the trip was quite wonderful and relaxing besides the setback of MiQuelle severely spraining her ankle while playing Ultimate Frisbee the first morning.  We played games, ran the river, soaked in the hot springs, watched and listened to trains, went swimming and sliding, and just enjoyed each other’s company.
Denali definitely takes after her mom and LOVES the hot water. She dipped into the hottest pool, which sits at 112 degrees, without blinking an eye. All of the cousins had a great time playing (and fighting) with each other.  I didn’t take very many pictures because I was too busy enjoying myself.

Tom got a flat at mile 40
Our lunch stop at Dude Ranch Cafe
Crossing the state line.





Family selfie after Frisbee
 

Bridget lots her first tooth! She was so excited until she saw the blood and then started to cry. 


2 comments:

  1. yay for Lava! And you are a complete ROCKSTAR for going 100 miles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beyond awesome. And man oh man, I miss that little town of Lava.

    ReplyDelete