Monday, August 25, 2014

The Temple Blesses Us



Shortly after having Nora I started experiencing postpartum depression. Although this is a "normal" thing and something I had with Denali as well, it still can be overbearing and all consuming. I started to pray for some answers as to how I could lessen the effects of the depression.

Two things happened that I now look back on and realize they were an answer to my prayers. First I became friends with Brittney, a girl who I've know for a few years now but hadn't really gotten to know (the story of how our friendship developed deserves it's own post that i'll have to write). One of the first times Brittney and I "hung out" was at the temple doing inititatories. Temple attendance is not the most traditional way of getting to know each other but, if I dare say so, the best way. With out really knowing it, both of us had the desire (can I say prompting?) to attend the temple on a more regular basis.


That is when Heavenly Father gave me the second key to overcoming the depression, regular temple attendance. Brittney and I made the goal to attend the temple every week. I was thinking "only general authorities and mission presidents attend the temple that often, I don't really need to right?" but I did anyway. Week after week we continued to go. Somehow we always found time to go with our busy schedules and finding a baby sitter for the girls. I found to my surprise that every time I would leave the girls with a baby sitter or Andrew, to attend the temple, that they were perfect! I would come back and everything would be peaceful and calm and who ever was watching the girls had no problem at all. This is not something that always happens to say the least. 


After a month or so of attending the temple every week, or at least trying our very hardest to, something amazing happened! Not only did my depression disappear but miracles were happening in my life like I had never experienced before. The voice of the Lord became stronger and his direction was a constant guide in my life. I was blessed, yes blessed, with more opportunities to serve my fellowmen. My relationship with my husband and children grew stronger than ever. I've received answers to prayers that I have been praying for for years.

We continue to attend the temple every week and all the things I mentioned before + so many other amazing blessings continue to come. Andrew and I also attend the temple together as often as possible as husband and wife to nurture our relationship and grow together in the gospel and our path through the enternities 

There are a few things I have learned about going to the temple apart from it being the most incredible tool the Lord has given us here on this Earth. You have to put a little bit of work in when attending the temple. There have been a few times when I've gone just to get that week checked of the list. I found myself thinking about the week and all that I needed to do or had done and just let random things like TV shows pop into my mind. Lets just say I could have skipped going to the that week and have gotten the same spiritual insight. To avoid this I find it best to say a prayer before going, being prepared with a question to search out the answer for, and thinking and praying about the person in which you are doing the work for. When I've done these things I have left the temple with added light in my life and had experiences that I never dreamed I could or would have. 

"Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answers to they prayers" (D&C 112:10)

I love this scripture and the image of the Lord leading you by your hand. Such an intimate and personal way for the Lord to guide you. He will take you step by step, if you are humble and willing, and show you the way down YOUR own path.

Now I ask myself, "why would I not make the temple a priority?". The very Lord resides there. Can I say that again?! The Lord resides in the temple!!! Why would I not be running to the temple doors as often as possible? It is a spiritual feeding ground. A place where, if you are open to it and with very little effort, you WILL be fed! 

I pray with all my heart that I will not fall out of this habit of regular temple attendance. Even the great can fall and if the great can fall then so can I, all the more easily. Now I'm not saying that you have to go to the temple every week or that it's easy or that I'm something great for doing it. Rather I hope that you take from this the importance of the temple and what a blessing it can be to you and your family. I know that it has made all the difference in my life. I testify that it is a place of God and that you will draw closer to him by attending the temple. The Lord is ready to talk to you and guide you. He loves you and cares about your every concern and desire, even the small things. I have felt his love for me and I know that He his there. He is real.

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful testimony and reminder of the abundance the Lord wants to bestow upon us. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Laura, I just love you. You inspire me and push me to be better and I just love it! Thank you for this post!!

    ReplyDelete