It's hard to be around such harsh personality's with out it rubbing off on you. I don't consider my self a big or chunky girl, but when i start comparing my self with the skin and bones on my team its not hard to feel fat.
These last two weeks i went on a diet because i wanted to look good in the costumes for my dance concert coming up. I didn't notice a difference in the circumference of my waste or in the jiggle in my legs, but i did notice a difference in me. Suddenly i was all about looks and trying to be like everyone else. I was scared that if i didn't loose those three pounds i would be made fun of by my peers. Suddenly, i was no longer confident. I was becoming the girl that couldn't go around with out her make up on. I was the girl obsessing over the number of calories she ate. I was becoming the very girl that i had loathed so much.
A quote came into my head that once changed my life. "I like me for the way i am"...I've started saying this quote in my head everyday before i leave for school, every time i can't find something amazing to wear, every time i see that "perfect" girl coming down the hall. I like to think of my sister and the amazing example she is to me. I've never seen her change for someone else. She has always stayed strong in what she believes. So thank you Ash Bash, you really are a beacon of light in this some times dark world. you're the greatest sister a girl could ask for.

Today, I ate a big juicy burger with fries and a malt! diets are so not worth it:)
Oh laura, you made me cry. I had a similar experience in the ninth grade. I hated hating myself, and decided it would happen no more. still today I have to remind myself all the time to not compare myself to anyone else's standards but my own, my families, and the lords. You Rock! don't forget that!
ReplyDeleteWay to go, laur! We all love you for you!
ReplyDeletelaura! great post, so full of wisdom. it can be so hard to love oneself. i didn't always struggle with that, but i have more in recent years (ya know... since i got a little chubbier & i have acne...) but its great having people around me who love me for me.
ReplyDeletei'm glad you had good examples in your life! ash is rock solid!
ps: i'm going to email you about les mis -- i hope i'm not too late for advice! :D