Starting today, Wednesday, Andrew has a class at the U every Monday and Wednesday from 6-9:15 pm for the next month. As many of you are i'm sure now well aware, Andrew and I only have Monday and Wednesday off at the Mortuary and every other weekend. Andrew and I decided to do something fun on Monday since it's really our last free day together. When Andrew got home from work we headed out to Antelope Island.
The reason why the title of this post is Cantaloupe Island is because at a young age, not knowing what an Antelope was, I called Antelope Island Cantaloupe Island. I just figured they grew cantaloupe out there or something.
 |
Driving on the causeway
 |
First stop, Visitor Center. We didn't really stay long here but it was neat to read some of the information they had about the history of the Island. It kind of blew my mind that back in the day The Great Salt Lake was actually kind of a destination for people. There were many resorts along the shore, the most famous of which is Saltair. There as well used to be a steam boat that would take cruisers from the mainland to the Island. Pretty much nothing lasts out on the shore of The GSL because of how corrosive the salt is.
While signing the guest book I noticed a few entries from people other than Utahans which surprised me for some reason. There was even a couple from Italy in the log book. Andrew and I laughed at how anyone would want to make a stop at Antelope Island of all the places in Utah but then you think about it a little more and realize that the GSL is 1 of 2 salt lakes in the entire world! So thinking about it that way makes it not as laughable.
 |
| Looking at the Brine Shrimp |
Next we cruised the Island in search of wildlife and were not disapointed
 |
| Who needs to go to Yellowstone to see Bison? |
 |
| Antelope on Antelope Island. Imagine that! |
Our last stop was the beach where we were going to go swimming, or at least wading, in the GSL. This was Andrew's first time out to the lake and I wanted him to have the full experience. We got out of the car, got Denali out of the car seat, walked 100 feet down the beach and turned around. There were sooooooo many bloody bugs! I said screw it and ran to the car as fast as possible. I escaped with only 5 bug bites...
 |
| Driving back home. |
No comments:
Post a Comment