Monday, February 27, 2012

The Ensign

I really enjoyed reading "Keeping Safe and Balanced in a Google, Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, iEverything World." in February's Ensign. In previous posts I have mentioned struggling with keeping a good balance in my time spent using electronics. This article has helped me set guidelines for myself and gave me some really good ideas for my future family. If you haven't read it, I would recommend it!
In the article it lists "10 Sings of Digital Overload" and "10 Ways to Cut Back" as well as listing 5 "filter" questions you can ask yourself to make sure you're using technology in a good way. I really enjoyed all of the points they made and will probably print off the 5 filter questions and post them near my computer to remind me.

1. Am I using this technology to learn or to teach?

2. Am I using it to build faith and testimony in myself and others?

3. Am I using it to entertain in uplifting ways?

4. Am I giving enough distracted in-person time to family and friends?

5. Am I devoting enough time to work, school, Church callings, and physical exercise?

I also noticed an article in the March ensign entitled "Have I Done Any Good in the World Today?- Life experiences of President Thomas S. Monson" which I think will answer a few of my questions about what the Prophet does in his free time.

There is another article in the February ensign that talks a bit about entering into the Rest of the Lord, a subject I find very interesting but haven't found a lot of information on yet (information put simply enough that I can begin to grasp what they are talking about). It's been a couple of years now that I perk up and listen any time the Rest of the Lord is mentioned but my understanding is slow and comes very little at a time. I think the Lord reveals what I need to know and what I can understand and that time in my life. I really like how simply put this article was, it set up a good base of understanding to build on.

I love how the spirit can prepare you with questions before you even knew you needed them answered.



1 comment: